Thursday, October 23, 2008

My new pastime

Haven't we all heard the stories about studies on depression and exercise? You know, that it works better at treating this malady than some common antidepressants. Well,with the way that I had been feeling lately, I wasn't buying it. First of all how did they find this out? Getting a depressed person to exercise is like trying to give a cat a bath - and if any of you have ever tried that then you KNOW what I am talking about... It is truly a hard thing to do. Now for months and months my psych has been trying to encourage me to be more active, but no matter how fat I got I was not motivated. I read articles on how depression was helped by exercise, but again - a no go. I didn't care. I didn't "feel like" going outside, in the sunshine for a walk. I didn't want to get my heart pumping. Hell, that just reminded me of the panic attacks! I didn't want to breathe in the fresh air. Who gives a crap! You know? That's what I thought until now.

Two days ago, a coworker of mine sent out an email asking for people to join her "walking club". Members would meet up in the lobby and then walk around the neighborhood for 30 minutes. I cringed when I first read the email. "Oh, gosh! I need to do this to lose some weight, but(insert excuses here)... So anyway, after vacillating for awhile on the matter, I decided to give it a shot. I mean what's the worse that could happen? Well, the WORSE that could happen would be that as we were walking a wayward car runs up onto our path killing us all. Sorry, there goes my imagination again ... back to the walking. I decided to give it a shot and boy, am I glad that I did! The past two days have been looking up. There is definitely something to this whole exercise as a treatment deal. Now don't get me wrong, I do believe that I need the medication. I would not have had the nerve to leave the house, work, mother my children (insert other task) without it. But, I must say that my mood has slowly lifted since I began the walks. I laughed out loud yesterday for the first time in weeks. Really! I was like, "Thank God! I feel like a person again."

I am announcing on this blog, for anyone who happens to read this that I, QtKira, am going to stick to this walking thing. No matter that the colder days are upon us - I will stick to it! I will layer my clothes. I will bring my tennis shoes to work. I will do this. If anyone else wants to try, please do. I know it's hard to start and I am NOT promising a miracle, but you will feel a bit better. Even a bit is better than nothing. So hang in there with me.

3 comments:

Urban Bushwoman said...

Go Qtkira! I will check on your progress so don't let me down.

DSTiny1996 said...

Depression is like silence. It's lonely even though you may be surrounded by people. When I went through it, I felt nothing but silence. I heard nothing else, I saw nothing else. I felt nothing else.

In November 2006, after I lost my baby I literally wanted to die. However God told me to get up the next morning I left the hospital and walk.

I remember the first morning I walked. It was a cold November morning. I did not have medical clearance to walk...I was supposed to be on bed rest. It was 7:30 in the morning. I suited up and briskly hit the track. I remember a deer crossing my path (way ahead of me)...scaring me senseless but getting my attention.

I look for meaning in small things. This deer (though unexpected) was life. The weather (as cold as it was) was sobering.

Psalm 30:5 says "Weeping may endure for a night, but Joy Comes in The Morning". Someone once said that the verse is not talking about a physical morning but...when you wake up.

I woke up that morning and had hope and faith that things would be better. I give God all the glory that things DID improve.

So Shakira keep walking! Whether it's cold, raining, snowing, avalanche...whatever keep walking. On a daily basis pray for the heaviness and spirit discouragement to be lifted off of you...in the name of Jesus. HE took me out of my own version of hell and he WILL do it for you.:

Love Ya!

Dee

QtKira said...

Thanks Dee,

Yes, you are right with GOD we can do anything. I am feeling much, much better than I was a couple of months ago and I have faith that I will be delivered from this dreadful disease. Thank you so much for the encouraging words. It is my hope that as we share our stories, others will begin to take steps to move toward healing.