Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Do unto others - the power of helping

Usually during this time of year, efforts to assist the less fortunate go into high gear. Normally, I have not participated in such efforts, but this year I had a couple of opportunities to do some volunteer work in my community. Last week, a local church hosted a feed the hungry day where they offered free meals to homeless and needy individuals all day. I helped to serve the meals. Also, I helped an older lady pack up and give out Thanksgiving food baskets for elderly residents. In both instances, I could feel the appreciation from the people that we were helping. The smile that came onto their faces really made me feel good. I loved feeling like I was making a difference in someone else's life.

What does all this have to do with depression, you ask? Well over the years I've found that the more I focus on other people, the harder it is for me to fall deeper into my own hole. The more I help someone else, the more I help myself. Giving is sometimes the best gift that I can receive. It truly does something positive to the psyche. When you get that appreciative thank you or smile or hug from someone because you made their day - it's indescribable how good that feels. You don't have to have a lot to give. Maybe you can read a story to a group of elementary school kids, or mentor a kid who doesn't have a support system, or spend time with an elderly neighbor who is alone or volunteer at a local soup kitchen. I don't know - whatever you feel passionate about. But realize that you CAN and DO make a difference in the lives of others.

Helping others is good medicine for what ails you. I can testify to that!

1 comment:

Urban Bushwoman said...

Beautiful thought there, Sistah QT. I believe in the power of giving. It really does nourish the soul and provides an outlet for those who need one. Hunger is a feeling that everyone can relate to and feeding people is satisfying because you know how it feels to be satiated (sp?). Be careful not to give too much. As Oprah has shown in her January issue of O mag, giving too much can leave you empty.